Weird image upload error

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

I'm getting this error when I try to upload some images. The file appears to upload but then the progress bar freezes at the end of the upload, and then I get this:

There doesn't seem to be any pattern ... Android, PC, or Mac; Firefox, Chrome, and Safari - all give the same error.

I think that it has something to do with specific images as I'm (obviously) able to upload some images. However, for the images that don't work it doesn't matter if the image is resized, saved in a different format, filename, extension, etc., or even if I screen-capture the desktop with the image on the screen, and try to upload the saved and cropped screen capture.

Here is a sample image that causes the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQmCQbs2ab2PN4w6A

I'm stumped.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Odd because I was able to upload and post that image after saving it from your link.

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

It works for me too. The "warning" triangle indicates that there was an unexpected response. What browser are you using? Click here.
Browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.4 Safari/605.1.15
If you click the triangle, it usually displays a useless message like "HTTP error" (duh). I can upload a debug version that will show the actual error.

Dan Kehn

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

So it's me. Ugh, sorry :oops:.

Anyhow this is what I get in FFox/Android and Safari/MacOS:
User Agent

Browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Android 12; Mobile; rv:99.0) Gecko/99.0 Firefox/99.0
Mobile: true
Tablet: false
Capability: A
Android: true
Ad blocker: false (next check on 04-18-2022 @ 11:38am)
Do not track: true
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

Mac:
User Agent
Browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.4 Safari/605.1.15
Mobile: false
Tablet: false
Capability: A
Android: false
Ad blocker: true
Do not track: false
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

That message is actually helpful, go figure! :lol:

That error occurs on the server side when it tries to validate the image post-upload. It fails if (a) the image metadata is invalid or (b) the HTTP header from the browser doesn't specify the payload is actually an image. It's just a wild guess, but maybe an ad blocker or privacy extension or VPN is suppressing one of the headers (case b) and that's causing the server to wrongly assume it's not actually an image.
Dan Kehn

Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Tried removing the one Safari extension that I have - no change.

Why some images consistently upload and other images consistently don't validate - and just for me

However, I just discovered something ... when I use cellular data it works, but when I use my home Wi-Fi, it doesn't work :shock:.

That sounds ominous for my network security ... <sigh>

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

That is truly odd. My first thought was that your Wi-Fi network or router has a bug. A restart or firmware update is my go-to response when ours misbehaves. Or you're being targeted by the NSA. :lol:

More seriously, if you think it's a corrupted image that's being "tolerated" by some browsers and not others, you could try uploading to ezgif (choose "GIF Maker") and then downloading as a JPG with their "Optimize" option. Presumably that would read the raw image data and rewrite the metadata/image data from scratch.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Image format changing didn't work. I guess that it is something in the router or upstream ... or the CSE (Canadian intelligence monitoring agency).

I'm sure it will magically correct itself in a week or so.

ETA: or a minute???!!!??? seems okay so far ...

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Apparently the CSE has finished with their investigation. It was great knowing you. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to HB »

There was just a knock on the door ... but it was DHL.