ECM Synchronika OPV will not stay adjusted

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Benos

#1: Post by Benos »

To keep the brew pressure in the ECM Synchronika around 9.5 to 10 bars, I have to adjust the OPV valve, almost weekly. I'll set it to 10 bars with the blind portafilter, then over the next week or so the pressure will steadily creep back up. I have adjustment screw backed out so far now, it looks like it is hanging out of its housing a bit. And it still will not go below 10.5 bars. Before that last adjustment, the pressure had went from to 10 bars to 15+ bars, inside a week.

Anyone else have any issues such as this?

jrham12

#2: Post by jrham12 »

Brian,

When you adjust the brew pressure, you should be using the adjustment screw on the pump... The OPV is more of a safety device when used with rotary pumps... (Quite different than adjusting the OPV on a vibe pump machine...)

Check out this WLL video and he walks you through each one:
I have my pump adjusted down to about 8 bars and it's held rock steady for probably a year and a half. I've never adjusted the OPV on my synchronika...

Josh

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Josh is correct. The Synchronika has a rotary pump with inbuilt bypass. This is what you use to set the pump pressure. The adjustment is under the Synchronika, not inside.

Benos (original poster)

#4: Post by Benos (original poster) »

Thanks for the details and the video. After watching it, I realized that my post is worded incorrectly. I have never adjusted the OPV valve. :) I have been adjusting the pump pressure from the bottom of the machine. So with that in mind from what I said in my first post, any idea what the problem could be?

Benos (original poster)

#5: Post by Benos (original poster) »

Nunas, by "this is what you use to set the pump pressure" - do you mean the adjustment screw on the bottom?

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

The OPV is technically serving as an expansion valve for espresso machines with a rotary pump. The brew pressure is set via the bypass valve (see "Pressure adjusting screw" in the diagram below):

From Procon exploded view

The expansion valve is typical set to 12 bar to protect the hydraulics system from excessive pressure. For vibratory pump espresso machines, the OPV serves both purposes - it acts as an expansion valve and pressure regulator.
Dan Kehn

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

Benos wrote:Thanks for the details and the video. After watching it, I realized that my post is worded incorrectly. I have never adjusted the OPV valve. :) I have been adjusting the pump pressure from the bottom of the machine. So with that in mind from what I said in my first post, any idea what the problem could be?
With the machine running against a blind filter (or with the cam spooned), adjust the pump bypass way up until it opens the expansion valve and you see the flow come from the outlet over the drip tray, then adjust it back down to way too low (pump still running), then adjust back up to your 9.2 Bar or wherever you want it. Stop the pump. Remove the blind portafilter and let some water flow through the whole brew circuit. Put the blind filter back and confirm the pressure limit is still where you want it then tighten the lock-nut.
The purpose of going way over and under the set point is to make sure the moving part of the bypass valve moves freely against the spring. If you see the gauge going all over the place as you do the adjustments, you'll need to open your bypass valve, clean the moving parts and lubricate the o-ring.

Benos (original poster)

#8: Post by Benos (original poster) »

JRising.... I did as you advised and will post after observing it for a week or so.