Rancilio Silvia frame restore

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kc2hje

#1: Post by kc2hje »

So this will be a week or so doing a rebuild on my Silvia V4as the frame is rusting top and bottom. Will also be rebuilding the steam wand, replacing the chrome plastic group head cover. This is my personal machine for about eight years now from new. Once done will be putting it through its paces.

Chris

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Strip it completely. If the pits are really bad, use bondo. Then primer and paint, or zinc-primer and powder coat.

Advertisement
kc2hje (original poster)

#3: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Dropped off for a full sandblasting, then etching primer and paint. Thinking that I might be moving on from this machine in the future should I just paint it plain black or do a metallic gray paint? The unit already has a integrated PID so it's not stock at this point.

kc2hje (original poster)

#4: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Other Pic

kc2hje (original poster)

#5: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

And tonight's project is rebuilding the steam valve and wand.

Hopefully frame is back this weekend fingers crossed.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)

#6: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

New surround trim for the grouphead and lapped the boiler in preparation for the new gasket. Also the boiler internals and heating element look good last replaced 10/2016.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)

#7: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

And the frame is back so excited sandblasting
Looks great will be doing etching primer and some glaze to address very minor pitting under the drip tray.

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

Looks good. It's going to look amazing when all glossy again, whatever shade you choose.

kc2hje (original poster)

#9: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Primer is down next up is some minor glazing putty then one more coating of primer then auto grade paint in black.

kc2hje (original poster)

#10: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

And first batch of parts are in so the steam wand is done fully rebuilt and replaced the wand due to failing plating on the ball.

Also installed a fresh grouphead gasket