Rocket R60v not pressurising if left on 30 minutes or more...

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
domino1352

#1: Post by domino1352 »

I have a Rocket R60v purchased Jan2017 but over the last 18 months or so it has developed an annoying issue/ i.e. once it has been on for a bit it will not pressurise and no water makes it to the puck

the pump is running but sounds different, possibly no-load.?
the pressure dial shows zero.. steam is fine

I have fully disassembled the grouphead and replaced the mushroom ( the ceramic one did not survive disassembly)
no scale evident
gets regularly backwashes though now with this issue it's difficult.

The nearest espresso service co is about 2 hours away..

has anyone experienced this

regards George

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Can you see if the stepper valve is moving or trying to move? If the pump is running AND sounding normal, it's probably creating flow, even if it is all dumping over its own bypass... If something before the gauge is blocking it, the most likely suspect would be the stepper valve. If it's moving when running, (for example trying to open further because the transducer senses the lack of pressure) but no flow/pressure is moving the gauge, it might just be plugged with calcium. If the valve isn't fully open or trying to move, it's probably electrically dead.

Strange that it happens only when fully heated... I suppose the transducer could be bad and the machine is keeping the valve closed because the transducer signal is saying the pressure in brew circuit is too high.

dgyvr

#3: Post by dgyvr »

I have the same issue with my Rocket Cellini from 2017 as well.

It is strange that this happens only when fully heated. Is there any way to check whether the transducer is faulty without ordering a new one in? It takes a while for me to get a part shipped to me and the local supplier (600Km) from where I am currently has this part listed as out of stock.

dgyvr

#4: Post by dgyvr »

Hi, My issue was resolved by changing the Ulka vibratory pump. The rocket office in Milan recommended this fix as soon as I mentioned my problem to them. While changing the pump, I also changed my in-line water filter as well. Initially, I thought my E61 group head was broken however, I had to change my mushroom head in the machine since I broke the ceramic mushroom head when I opened the group head assembly.

SeeYou

#5: Post by SeeYou »

Bonjour domino 1352,
After all this time..., have you found the solution to this lack of water/pressure. I have for a few days exactly on my R60V the problem that you describe.
Thanks

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

Have you tried the diagnostic steps mentioned?
Does the stepper valve move? Does the pump sound normal?

SeeYou

#7: Post by SeeYou »

JRising, thanks for the interest!
(fr/eng translated by Google)
Unfortunately, this is a sporadic problem. This morning, everything is working perfectly. The water flow and the pressure with the filter holder/coffee or filter holder/blank are normal. Motor/pump sound and stepper valve are OK. I'll have to wait for the problem to show up again to check the stepper valve.
This R60 really does not like running out of water. When this happens (although the green light that flashes should warn me before... always to late ??), the machine makes a horrible sound, it seems that the whole interior is contracting ! This may be the source of the problem !!??

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

If it always happens immediately following the pump sucking in air, then I don't think it's the stepper. When the pump passes any air bubbles, the transducer would respond to the low pressure by opening the stepper valve further... If it were jamming in this situation, it would be jamming open and therefore you'd see pressure on the gauge (and there'd still be good flow)...

Perhaps, it's as simple as the bypass relief on the pump getting stuck partly open. If all flow were bypassing, the gauge would show zero and there'd be next to no flow through the brew circuit, the check valve alone requires 0.2 bar or something. Just a shot in the dark, probably not the correct one but the only one to pop into my head.

SeeYou

#9: Post by SeeYou »

« Perhaps, it's as simple as the bypass relief on the pump getting stuck partly open. If all flow were bypassing, the gauge would show zero and there'd be next to no flow through the brew circuit, the check valve alone requires 0.2 bar or something »
Sounds very plausible to me! What is the solution to confirm or correct this problem? Thanks

JRising
Team HB

#10: Post by JRising »

SeeYou wrote: Sounds very plausible to me! What is the solution to confirm or correct this problem? Thanks
Oh. I can't picture the orientation of the pump in the R60V... Can you access the relief adjustment on the pump from outside the machine? Maybe someone that can visualize it can jump in and answer. But just take the whole bypass valve out, make sure it's lubricated and clean, then put it back in... And if you know the manufacturer of the pump, check if there's a rebuild kit available for it, replacing that little oring never hurts.

Can anyone jump in and confirm whether this is possible on the R60v without taking the panels off the machine?
The parts diagram makes it look like it will be poking through the bottom of the machine.