Should I follow the La Marzocco maintenance plan?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
clokwork

#1: Post by clokwork »

I will be ordering a GS3 MP. After seeing the maintenance documentation regarding ownership after 6 months and a year, should I follow the maintenance checklists if I'm using the machine daily for mostly light use? Maybe a shot or two a day? I plan to run the machine for roughy 4 hours a day on the timer to give me a window to wake up an prepare my coffee. Possibly less.

I see these actions suggested actions specifically:

Replace Group Gaskets
Replace Diffuser Screens
Rebuild MP Valve

I appreciate the feedback.

Ypuh

#2: Post by Ypuh »

Simple answer is no.

No one knows what La Marzocco's advice is based on, but likely it's something like 100 cups a day. Home-use nowhere puts the wear and tear on the machine that requires such a rigorous maintenance scheme (I guess there's even a 6 month and 12 month inverval).

Just use your eyes and feel to replace parts. Descaling depends on your locale. The only thing La Marzocco is known for is the vacuum breaker. You can just wait until it breaks, clean it regularly or replace it every year preventively. You can then decide to replace the whole vacuum breaker (the part costs like €30) or only the rubber O-ring (cost like €3 for 10). If you let an official LM tech do this for you, it will obviously be more expensive. There's also an upgraded new-style vacuum breaker that costs €100 and should be replaced far less frequently, but is also less suited for home use due to its condensation built up. Considering it lasts about 3-4 times longer, it's not cheaper.
I don't want a Decent

Jaroslav

#3: Post by Jaroslav »

clokwork wrote:Replace Group Gaskets
The document is just a preventative checklist, it doesn't cost much to ensure your machine is working as it should.

From the list, I'd suggest you at least check the flow rate and replace the group gasket. The stock gasket literally crumbled when I took it out after 6 months, worth replacing it with the longer lasting and more durable H3007 silicone gasket.
Jaroslav

clokwork (original poster)

#4: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

Thanks for the heads up! I certainly will upgrade the gasket. Thankfully that seems to be a fairly direct job.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

FWIW, Slayer PM is much more involved (not that its hard to do), but most home users do it every other year. With silicon gaskets those are yearly or sooner if something is up.

What is important is draining the steam tank. I do that every three months. And the brew tank once a year as well.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#6: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

Thank you. Good call on draining the tank. I'm curious as to why you specifically state the steam tank only?
I think I may be able to get away with how often the seals are replaced since the machine won't be running 24/7. At most 3-4 hours a day. I'm hoping I don't have to tear down the group head too often. I hope to become more mechanically inclined to do some of the more involved maintenance myself over time.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

With the steam boiler, you're "distilling" off steam, leaving minerals behind. Periodically pulling off water or draining the tank helps keep the concentration down.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

clokwork wrote:Thank you.......
I think I may be able to get away with how often the seals are replaced since the machine won't be running 24/7. At most 3-4 hours a day. I'm hoping I don't have to tear down the group head too often. I hope to become more mechanically inclined to do some of the more involved maintenance myself over time.
Long debate. Most Slayer owners favor Power Save mode over turning machine completely off.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#9: Post by clokwork (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I wish the GS3 offered a mode like that.

Jake_G
Team HB

#10: Post by Jake_G »

I've had my GS/3 for 3 years and serviced the vacuum breaker twice.

It is one of the earlier units with a serial number in the 300's and I went through it thoroughly when I received it, but otherwise it just runs.

I have removed the silicone group gasket 2 or 3 times during routine deep cleans but otherwise, there is very little to worry about. When I've pulled the gasket, it has been for the sake of curiosity and there has been nothing to report. Clean, pliable and in perfect condition.

For back-flushing, I pull the shower screen once a month and do a detergent back flush cycle with the dispersion screw threaded back into the group and the shower screen resting below it in the blank basket. The whole group and basket come out perfectly clean after the flush cycle and I reassemble and run a water backflush cycle.

That's it.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704