Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 29

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#281: Post by Peppersass »

PIXIllate wrote: Notes of fruit compote, butter, double cream, balanced with strikingly clean acidity. When I tried pulling shorter (31g) or using a higher dose (18g) the acidity takes over.
Your tasting notes are quite close to mine for all four processing methods, especially "butter" and "double cream". I'm finding these coffees to be quite smooth and creamy, yet with good brightness. Fruit compote makes a lot of sense of a coffee with Kenyan roots.

But I'm not ready to come to firm conclusions about this year's crop because I want to try a different profile than the one I used for my first attempt at roasting them. I was shooting for light roasts, but three of the four processing methods came out in the medium-light range, about 24-25 on the Roast Vision. The profile I used made it difficult to hit the color I wanted but still get reasonable development. One roast came out at light at 29, and so far I think it's the best batch of the four. Lighter is better for bringing out the fruit compote.

All four roasts have improved noticably after 10-14 days of rest, and I suspect when I roast them lighter they'll need at least that much rest.

It's been a while since I roasted the 2020 crop, but my sense is that the 2021 crops is more than a little different. I have some 2020 left and plan to roast it with the next batch of the four 2021 processing methods for comparison.

Familiar_Mood

#282: Post by Familiar_Mood »

Peppersass wrote: It's been a while since I roasted the 2020 crop, but my sense is that the 2021 crops is more than a little different. I have some 2020 left and plan to roast it with the next batch of the four 2021 processing methods for comparison.
Interestingly I was talking to a Aida the other day and she agreed that this year. She said the coffee will be different every year no matter how hard she tries l because they are dealing with a fruit and an agricultural product. It's a fruit that depends on so much. She said They are not trying to replicate each year, they are just doing our best to offer the best quality that they can.

Hope that helps

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#283: Post by LBIespresso »

Finally got around to roasting the Burundi process that I was lucky enough to get a 25 pound bag of. It is as good as I remember from the Facsimile cupping. Especially since I am currently drinking the Lerida Gesha and some Letty Bermudez. This actually compares quite nicely to those! It is somehow both approachable and complex at the same time.

Thank you Aida!

The bag and the included sample of cascara are also a very nice touch and much appreciated.
LMWDP #580

Rickpatbrown

#284: Post by Rickpatbrown replying to LBIespresso »

How dark are you roasting these? Care to share a profile?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#285: Post by LBIespresso replying to Rickpatbrown »

I was waiting to cup it but couldn't control myself and made a PO 2 days post roast and it was even better than I expected.

This is using my Cormorant with air at 8 and drum at full speed for the whole roast and was the 5th roast of the day. Phidget RTD probes too.

I will try to extend maillard a bit but this tastes great so It will be interesting to see how my next few attempts go.
LMWDP #580

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#286: Post by LBIespresso »

Had it again this morning as a PO. The other day I didn't taste the curve but today I am seeing (tasting...sorry) what the curve was trying to tell me. I need to extend the middle phase a bit before I try take this darker and I even think I won't want to take it darker once I fix that but still, it is drinking quite nicely.
LMWDP #580

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#287: Post by aidabatlle »

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! :D

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#288: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Aida has a natural coming our way soon. Thread bump for the discussion. If it remains mostly about the natural, we'll eventually split it off.

Talk to us Aida!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

GC7

#289: Post by GC7 replying to TomC »

I check her website regularly hoping that this current crop of washed process would be offered. No luck this year.

The natural process was offered by Roastmasters and I quickly snatched up 5 pounds and reported on the greens thread earlier last year.

https://www.roastmasters.com/kilinat.html

It is fantastic coffee and as clean a natural process as I've tasted. It has more body and fruit than any of her washed varieties and it roasts up the way you want it very easily. I roast it a bit darker (419*), making sure that first crack is finished and about 5* past.

I do wish the washed varieties were available too.

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#290: Post by aidabatlle »

Hey guys! Coffees are up and available. Brought in some Washed, Kenya, Iced Cascara Tea, Burundi and the Natural. They're tasting great!