Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

5 packages are going out today. I've contacted 30 interested buyers and have received replies from most. There might be some left, so don't hesitate to PM me. The days I can get to the post office is every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I really look forward to hearing folks discuss this beautiful coffee. Almico should take the lead and share a profile and some thoughts. He's very talented and already has some he acquired on his own. Feel free to share roasting profiles here, discussions etc, but please don't post interest checks here, just PM me directly.

Happy Roasting folks!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

A worthy point; I am arranging a Zoom meeting with Aida Batlle with Home-Barista.com where she can engage with the audience here. Most likely aiming for a Saturday at some point, where more folks can participate. More to come!
★ Helpful

mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

Zoom meeting. A whole different learning curve.

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

Here's my latest ABS profile. I dropped a few degrees hotter and went a bit longer post 1C. The previous batch was wonderful. The roasted beans smell like brown sugar cookie dough. My flavor notes were Marzipan, white peach and a hint of grapefruit. The body after a few days rest was off the charts syrupy. But I wanted to take this one a bit further and try to eliminate the grapefruit. Not fond of grapefruit coffee.

As I've been learning to roaster lighter and lighter, I'm finding coffees actually taste less and less distinct after a point. At some point citrus, acetic and malic acid just tastes like citrus, acetic and malic acid. So it seems that, similar to the homogenizing flavor effect of roasting coffee darker and darker, the same thing seems to happen going lighter and lighter.

So my goals are changing from getting a coffee as light as possible while still being fully developed, to eliminating the generic acidity I get when going very light, and finding something unique.

This profile allows for a pretty wide range of light roasts. Getting to dry early gets things charged up so coffee gets developed well. Then I can drop anywhere from 10-20* above 1C to get lots of variety. Getting to dry early for darker roasts does't seem a benefit, but that's a different thread. I won't be roasting this coffee dark.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane »

Back to something I can follow. Thanks.

GC7

#6: Post by GC7 »

My coffee arrived on Labor Day afternoon from USPS. As Tom said, it's packed better than any coffee I have encountered. I put two packs away for cold storage and immediately roasted a batch.

It roasts very easily and followed the profile I wanted to a tea. First crack was at 7:50 and developed for 1:55 for a total roast time of 9:45. That took it about 30 seconds or so part the end of first crack. That's my standard starting for a modest roast level no where near second crack.

The following morning, I brewed 700 ml (42 gm coffee) in the Technivorm this morning. It's superb with crisp acidity and distinct cherry notes while being sugary sweet with herbal-like fragrant notes. No traces of astringency or bitterness were evident even less than 1 day post roast. This is clearly a very top shelf coffee. My only concern is that the brightness and fruit dulled rather than sweetened as it got cool. I'm hoping in a few days that will change and look forward to playing with these 2 pounds first.

Today I estimated a probable grind setting and pulled a shot of espresso. I used a long preinfusion slayer like profile with 17.5 gm of coffee at 202*. It ran a touch fast at 24 seconds for 35 gm output but the results suggest this will make a wonderful SO. I was surprised how the acidity was toned down. If anything I will shoot for a brighter cup. The fruit was there with a more malty flavors added at the finish.

There are just two test drinks so lots more to explore. I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

dale_cooper

#7: Post by dale_cooper »

edit: I'm a newbie. PM sent to Tom.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm excited to finally roast a batch of this, hopefully tomorrow. I've been so busy with work and "life" the last week that I still haven't gotten around to it.

I think I've replied to everyone who's PM'd me. I should have written down a list and put checkmarks next to those I've responded to, but I apologize I did not. So if you haven't heard from me, yes, put a PM back to the top of my box. I still have some.

GC7

#9: Post by GC7 »

This coffee seemingly transformed in a day. Perhaps I dialed it in better but I had one of my best shots ever. The coffee requires a really fine grind setting to flow properly. I also lowered the temperature to 200* from 202*.

I am not good at flavor descriptions. If I have aa reference to taste right at hand its easy but not in blind tasting. Right out of the grinder I experienced an intense dark sugar molasses-like fragrance that extended into the cup. Today, a citrus orange flavor dominated on top of the dark sugar sweetness followed by a lingering finish. I pulled the shot with 17.5 gm coffee and 33 gm output. The body was lush and coated my palate. I think this will be a wow coffee.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Alan,

I really like this quote and appreciate your sharing your ever advancing knowledge.
Almico wrote:As I've been learning to roaster lighter and lighter, I'm finding coffees actually taste less and less distinct after a point. At some point citrus, acetic and malic acid just tastes like citrus, acetic and malic acid. So it seems that, similar to the homogenizing flavor effect of roasting coffee darker and darker, the same thing seems to happen going lighter and lighter.

So my goals are changing from getting a coffee as light as possible while still being fully developed, to eliminating the generic acidity I get when going very light, and finding something unique.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!