Artisan - Pre and Post First Crack (FC); incl timing of gas dip

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I was asked to explain some comments I made in another thread about the different Phases modes and my favorite feature of Artisan.

First one needs to understand the the Phases LCDs have three modes which can be changed with a right click. Each of the LCDs displays information relative to the current progress of the roast and operates in one of three modes: time / percentage / temperature. However you can avoid the right clicks by setting up your Phases to your liking.

You get to set the modes in the Phases dialog box.(Ignore the From Background checkmark for this discussion)

In this case, Artisan starts in Time mode and shows time from Tipping Point and expected time to FC.

After Dry End (DE), what Artisan shows with this configuration is temp change since TP and DE in terms of degrees but also most importantly to me is expected time to FC in countdown mode. WHY is this important to me? I use the gas dip method to avoid crash and flick at FC. I have a standard approach that I change on the fly for each roast. So my expectation is I will cut gas to half its prior setting at 1:15 before FC and then return it to about 1.6x to 1.8x that value about 45 seconds pre FC. However if I find my ROR flattening earlier I might drop it earlier and extend the dip time. I also make choices about when to end the dip and how much to restore the gas on each roast. What the Temp mode after DE gives me is that countdown. Note the downward arrow in the third LCD before "FCs" which shows its in countdown.

Finally post FC, you will see in the Phases dialog box above I have checked the box across from Finishing for Phases LCDs All - I call this "parallel mode" and its my favorite feature of Artisan. WHY? It shows me everything I need to know. I want to know the number of seconds after FC since I will raise my fan and cut my gas. Like my dip protocol I have some starting points for those around 45 seconds post FC. Also some people like to drop say 90 or 120 seconds post FC and that count is right there to see. It will show my temp increase since FC and also my Development Time Ratio (DTR). Parallel mode avoids the need to right click to see these settings as it is a mixture of the modes.

Hope this helps and happy to respond to questions. I have taken these images from the discussion at the Quick Start Guide:
https://artisan-scope.org/docs/phases/
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart
★★ Quite Helpful

eltakeiteasy

#2: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Thanks for posting more details about this, Michael.

The From Background checkmark is actually what I am most interested in as I can not seem to get that configured correctly (does not seem to want to follow). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
LMWDP #672.

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

NOW you tell me....

And I can get the milestones from the individual backgrounds for different profiles...are you kidding me?

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

eltakeiteasy wrote:Thanks for posting more details about this, Michael.

The From Background checkmark is actually what I am most interested in as I can not seem to get that configured correctly (does not seem to want to follow). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Not sure I understand your question fully, but you need to know that the PhasesLCDs do their prediction based on the phases limits and that the limits of the middle phase (called Maillard in the phases dialog) are either manually set and constant, taken from the "From Background" (new in Artisan v1.6) or "Auto Adjusted". In the later case, this phases limits are updated once a limiting phase marks (DROP and FCs) are set. The lower limit of the first phase (named Drying in the phases dialog) and the upper limit of the last phase (named Finishing) are always "manual" and can be configured in the Phases dialog (menu Config >> Phases).

Hope I did not increase the confusion....

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy wrote:Thanks for posting more details about this, Michael.

Ryan are you trying to load a profile into the background to follow. That would be under the Roast>Background dialog box. Maybe you even want the Playback Aid that lets you get pop ups of events from the background roast or Playback Events which actually execute the events.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/background/

The Phases From Background is going to move the colored stripes to reflect those of the background roast.
Artisan.Plus User-

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Almico wrote:...are you kidding me?
Alan, you have no idea. This is game I have with my granddaughter about outrageous stories.

So your screen shots are showing the two points I was making and your reference to background is changing the color bands so you can follow along with your current roast, correct? If so I am not kidding.
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#7: Post by Almico replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

When you check the "From Background" box, the Drying, Maillard and Finishing temp milestones change to match the pre-loaded background.

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to Almico »

Yes and the colored bars will also change to those temp ranges. So the green band, top line, should intersect with your background DE and the, yellow band, top line should intersect with FC. Assumes standard colors.
Artisan.Plus User-

eltakeiteasy

#9: Post by eltakeiteasy »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Ryan are you trying to load a profile into the background to follow. That would be under the Roast>Background dialog box. Maybe you even want the Playback Aid that lets you get pop ups of events from the background roast or Playback Events which actually execute the events.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/background/

The Phases From Background is going to move the colored stripes to reflect those of the background roast.
I will give that a try next time I roast thanks! I was looking for it to do just that!
LMWDP #672.

eltakeiteasy

#10: Post by eltakeiteasy »

MaKoMo wrote:Not sure I understand your question fully, but you need to know that the PhasesLCDs do their prediction based on the phases limits and that the limits of the middle phase (called Maillard in the phases dialog) are either manually set and constant, taken from the "From Background" (new in Artisan v1.6) or "Auto Adjusted". In the later case, this phases limits are updated once a limiting phase marks (DROP and FCs) are set. The lower limit of the first phase (named Drying in the phases dialog) and the upper limit of the last phase (named Finishing) are always "manual" and can be configured in the Phases dialog (menu Config >> Phases).

Hope I did not increase the confusion....
Perfect. Makes total sense. Thanks, Marko!
LMWDP #672.