Ecuadorian Pinchincha & Imbaburu CJ1477

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

A roast along. I find every CJ easy roasting, and fabulous looking and these are no exception. On the nose out the roaster is quite lovely. Moisture loss is 16%.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I tried this as a PO 1 hr ago. Nice cup, gentle on the lips. Not too thick, not too thin. I'm getting a tropical note and it's slightly sweet. I'll try and give it a few days.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane (original poster) »

1604 as a PO right now. Sweet mango. It's a bit watered down. Still nice as it cools.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Day 3

Another pour-over and the aroma is quite nice, like a sweet fruit. This smell has been there from the beginning.
Mild acidity and very clean. This is 2 minutes in.

I haven't read Royals notes on this coffee, my browser won't let me in.

I'm getting an Australian red licorice smell in the background and now that we're 4 minutes into this it's starting to stiffen up. Deep bodied cup that doesn't linger too long. Very clean.

I'm horrible at this. I have this list of tasting notes in front of me, but it doesn't help.

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

I like showing their tastes diagram.

I expect to have some of this coffee in a few days to roast and enjoy, too.
LMWDP #198

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane (original poster) »

$ days in and we have a small change taking place. Once again served as a PO.

What is tamarind? I'm getting a brown sugar note, less acidity, and a bit more mouthfeel today. The nose is very un-coffee and the reason I ask is, what is tamarind. I'll let it cool, and I'll brew up another cup of the second roast.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

The second cup as a PO using a flat bottom dripper this time yields a mellower cup. Tasting notes are similar but subdued. The comparison is not fair and I should have used a v60 style of dripper instead of a flat bottom.

I'll do one more with a v60. were on hold for a bit.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Back to a v60 on the second roast. It's similar to the flat bottom dripper so, the roasts are very different. I'm somewhat rather surprised how the two roasts vary so much in taste. The profiles wouldn't suggest that. Maybe Rob is on to something.

It's becoming bolder as it cools. Less sweet. I like the other roast a bit more.

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava »

Took a break from putting in the garden and roasted today.

228 grams
Quest 3
Turnaround 1:25
Dry 4:50
1st 8:40
Pull 10:55

Disappointed with the number of defects culled. I will resist eye cupping it though. Will take a run at in on Thurs/Friday.

Tip: Best roasted w/a baseball game on radio.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#10: Post by Chert »

my cupping roast. Tiny late flick. I agree about prep, not visually as good as expected.

BUT

juicy, watermelon, strawberry cups to nice contrast against the more berry herbal tea notes of Rwanda Kinina Village AA . Very excited to have 4 # of this whatever Pinchincha & Imbaburu means! Maybe my roast error brought it down to a little less clean that I will taste in future roasts.

Is this a washed coffee? So fruity!

[edit]: slurp a little and breath through the nose. Great fruity aroma, prelude to the taste.
LMWDP #198