Green Coffee Sources List - 2022 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#21: Post by Chert »

Here is one from Germany I came across.

https://supremo-kaffee.de/de/kaffee/roh ... ner-kaffee
LMWDP #198

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Klatch - they have have seemed to stop having sales on greens so I have removed that note from the list. Hope they prove me wrong over July 4th.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by LBIespresso »

I noticed that too. Maybe that's their way of raising prices without raising prices. We should assume their costs are higher now.
LMWDP #580

Trjelenc

#24: Post by Trjelenc »

Does anyone here have an opinion on Showroom vs Sweet Maria's vs Happy Mug?

Showroom seems to have the highest prices out of those 3, does anyone find their offerings more premium than the other 2 to justify the price? I've ordered Happy Mug the most, and while they have quite a few nice beans, I think they tailor most of their offerings towards "inexpensive but makes a good coffee in the darker-medium roasts". Sweet Maria's is definitely good but I can't tell if their overly-specific descriptions tend to over-sell some of the coffees. Thinking about trying Showroom next

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by Milligan replying to Trjelenc »

I feel like Happy Mug is one of the most "down to earth" with their descriptions and notes. The flavors are usually pretty spot on and they aren't esoteric and weird like Sweet Maria can get into. For good, staple washed and natural coffees I think Happy Mug is hard to beat especially at higher quantities. They also provide harvest and arrival information. I do wish HM provided a bit more detail on their roast. Saying "30 seconds past FC" doesn't mean too much. If they have profiled the coffees for production anyway then it would be nice to include a graph or more technical details for us nerds. I super appreciate Royal for doing that. I haven't tried Showroom yet.

I've fallen off of CBC lately because their price hikes and the big change they implemented in their Rancher program. The Rancher program used to be pretty awesome. Order over $150 and you get free shipping. Now they make you have an annual subscription for the program and they've changed the discount on larger quantities to not be as lucrative. Their coffees have been hit or miss for me lately unfortunately.

Trjelenc

#26: Post by Trjelenc »

You really hit my exact thoughts on Happy Mug and Sweet Maria's. Happy Mug's descriptions are often very honest, they'll straight up say "it's not a particularly interesting coffee". Right now they have a Costa Rica Pacamara that they outright say they're a bit disappointed in, and that they're not getting the notes La Minita advertised. I've also always been bothered that they don't provide better roasting suggestions, especially with the fact that they production roast too. I'd love it if they said "we're enjoying this at +x° and y minutes after the start of first crack".

I haven't tried CBC. I know plenty of people like them, but I'm very skeptical how they maintain such a huge offering variety without keeping a ton of really old stock.

Royal Crown Jewels is another one I'm interested in, as long as they are beans that are truly worth buying a 22lb box of

ducats

#27: Post by ducats »

Trjelenc wrote:Does anyone here have an opinion on Showroom vs Sweet Maria's vs Happy Mug?

Showroom seems to have the highest prices out of those 3, does anyone find their offerings more premium than the other 2 to justify the price? I've ordered Happy Mug the most, and while they have quite a few nice beans, I think they tailor most of their offerings towards "inexpensive but makes a good coffee in the darker-medium roasts". Sweet Maria's is definitely good but I can't tell if their overly-specific descriptions tend to over-sell some of the coffees. Thinking about trying Showroom next
Did a couple feeler orders from Showroom this summer. They have 10% off through the 10th. No coupon needed. They've landed in my "good enough to keep an eye on" category. After the first order they sent a 15% coupon via email, ymmv. Their notes were pretty consistent with what I got in the cup, but we're not talking a huge sample size here. I mostly drink filter and lots of washed kenyans and ehtiopians. I don't usually look at Happy Mug. SMs accounts for 90% of what I get. Happy hunting.

Oh, this thread might be of importance, not a lot of info but the participants might have more experience with Showroom than I do and you could ask them Showroom Rwanda Roast Along

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by Milligan »

Trjelenc wrote: I haven't tried CBC. I know plenty of people like them, but I'm very skeptical how they maintain such a huge offering variety without keeping a ton of really old stock.

Royal Crown Jewels is another one I'm interested in, as long as they are beans that are truly worth buying a 22lb box of
Your skepticism is not misplaced on CBC. I've had coffee from them that seemed pretty old. One was straight up baggy tasting no matter the roast level. I even went pretty dark on it past 2C and still couldn't get rid of the baggy taste. I've had some great coffee from them too but I've moved on to others that are more consistent. Their notes aren't very personalized either. They seem to simply parlay what the processor/exporter told them the coffee tastes like. I was curious one time and googled the description, sure enough a hit of a very similar description came up from La Minita's website... :oops: I am being a bit too hard on them though. Their service is top notch and shipping is super fast and competitively priced.

There are members here that split boxes of Crown Jewels sometimes. I may be ordering one at some point this year and was going to offer to ship splits out of it if there was interest at cost.

Trjelenc

#29: Post by Trjelenc »

Milligan wrote:There are members here that split boxes of Crown Jewels sometimes. I may be ordering one at some point this year and was going to offer to ship splits out of it if there was interest at cost.
I'm not opposed to buying all 22lbs, as long as I know it's going to be good. I like having a lot to play with.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#30: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

New vendor in Chandler Arizona that Mary enjoyed.
SageBrush Coffee - Chandler AZ
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart