Greens Alert - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast (original poster)

#11: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

rama wrote:
Anyone else find it curious that the Kenya Nyeri Ngunguru arrived in July, but just got released?
I've noticed that too. Same was the case with the Ethiopia DP Sidama Aleta Wondo(listed as august arrival) and I had expected to see a Sidamo DP around august/sept. but nothing until released in dec.
I can understand holding some well stored lots to maintain some balance of availability. But with 90+ lots I want them as fresh as possible.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

rama

#12: Post by rama »

farmroast wrote:I can understand holding some well stored lots to maintain some balance of availability. But with 90+ lots I want them as fresh as possible.
Exactly. I'd rather make the decision to store or not, even if they are in GrainPro. Control is part of the reason to home roast, which surely Sweet Marias understands.

I asked them about this decision two weeks ago and got no reply, which makes it even more suspicious:

Anyone know how to get ahold of Tom so he can chime in here?

farmroast (original poster)

#13: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Rama
I just roasted the Kenyan today.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

dustin360

#14: Post by dustin360 »

The kenya and the DP Ethiopia are still up, its just the El sal thats gone.

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

farmroast wrote:Since hunting down exceptional greens can be a challenge nowadays maybe heads up are in order ...
here are a few recent listed lots I just ordered that should have exceptional potential for espresso and/or brewed.
SM Kenya Nyeri Ngunguru
SM Aida Batlle El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro 2 processes set
The Nyeri and Kilimanjaro Kenya Prep are elegant but not overpowering coffees; with full but not overbearing acidity somewhere between orange and apricot; and spice cake (Nyeri) and custard pie (Kilimanjaro) roast flavors -- in to 90 to 92 range. The Central prep Kilimanjaro had a peaty edge I disliked thoroughly. If you dislike dark roast flavors, keep this one extra light.
Jim Schulman

another_jim
Team HB

#16: Post by another_jim »

Correction on the Central Prep Kilimanjaro: the peaty edge settles to almond after four days -- usually any roasting weirdness is by the second day's cupping, but in this case it took four days; sorry
Jim Schulman

the_trystero

#17: Post by the_trystero »

farmroast wrote:Since hunting down exceptional greens can be a challenge nowadays maybe heads up are in order.
here are a few recent listed lots I just ordered that should have exceptional potential for espresso and/or brewed.
SM Kenya Nyeri Ngunguru
The Kenya Kirinyaga Kiunyu Peaberry and Muranga Kangunu Peaberry is up on Sweet Maria's now. I ordered a pound of each, it will be a few days til they get here due to New Years.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

jonny

#18: Post by jonny »

I have been drinking (espresso) my second try of this Aleta Wondo this past week. It is good but personally I wouldn't classify it as a "good s.o. espresso." It is tasty and has HUGE fruitiness (city+ish here) but not very well balanced in my opinion and slightly lacking in sweetness. Maybe slightly darker might help balance it for espresso? It is definitely different than last years beautiful offering from Sightglass which was heavily strawberry, rose petal, but sweet and nicely balanced with some nuttiness. If others have had success, I'd be interested in hearing some roasting/brewing parameters, otherwise this one is destined for drip and blends. I did just try it 50/50 with some huehuetenango which made it better, thus blending this coffee may be what needs to happen for espresso... Like I said, though, I'm interested in others' experiences with this Aleta Wondo.

Arpi

#19: Post by Arpi »

With the Aleta Wondo (or most Ethiopian SOs I've tried), I use a small dose and grind finer, otherwise the flavor can be overpowering and it blurs itself out, which may make it look like it is a bad option for espresso. The flavor gets better with +5 day rest.

This is what I tried, but I wish I had cut the finish phase a little (next time) to make it even more floral.

rama

#20: Post by rama »

rama wrote:Exactly. I'd rather make the decision to store or not, even if they are in GrainPro. Control is part of the reason to home roast, which surely Sweet Marias understands.

I asked them about this decision two weeks ago and got no reply, which makes it even more suspicious:

Anyone know how to get ahold of Tom so he can chime in here?
A couple of "new" Kenyans are available now:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.afric ... AATegu2011

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.afric ... uruJan2012

Notice the crop is now just listed as "2011 Arrival". :roll: