Home Roasting for Espresso 202

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.

Should HB Home Roasting forum be for "advanced roasting for espresso"?

Poll ended at February 9th, 2007, 12:57 am

Yes, focus on advanced home home roasting techniques for espresso
71%
No, any questions from getting started to "what's first crack sound like" etc.
29%

Total votes: 38

Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

another_jim wrote:Mike and Abe, what do you think? I have the impression that unlike other coffee equipment, there's not a lot of awareness how good or bad coffee roasters can be. Home roasters tend to be like evangelists, making it sound cheap and easy. But like everything else in coffee, cheap and easy gets you only so far (although arguably a lot further in roasting than in anything else), to get all the way, one needs to spend some money and time. Perhaps, keeping with the general tone of HB, we can focus on the roasting 202.
I think it's a good idea. Already seeing quite a few beginning home roast queries which have been and continue to be answered multiple other venues. If in fact the trend desired for this forum is more advanced home roasting specifically for espresso should likely be stated in the first Welcome or Statement of Purpose post kept at the top.
Mike McGinness

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Absolutely!!

This site is not Home-Press or Home-Drip. :twisted:

Perhaps we can raise home roaster consciousness a level or two above the rampant endpoint only mindset. :roll:

Arto

#3: Post by Arto »

I would like to se some sort of a giant FAQ for beginners (written by someone talented, and confirmed by others), answering only basic questions in a broad and easy manner. The Q's & A's should be suitable for all roasting-methods. It could be divided in parts, like beans, machines & craftsmanship.

:)

harris

#4: Post by harris »

Yes, keep the focus and change the forum name from "Home Roasting" to "Espresso Roasting".

jormun

#5: Post by jormun »

Arto wrote:I would like to se some sort of a giant FAQ for beginners (written by someone talented, and confirmed by others), answering only basic questions in a broad and easy manner. The Q's & A's should be suitable for all roasting-methods. It could be divided in parts, like beans, machines & craftsmanship.

:)
+1

A good guide or FAQ for us newbies is an excellent idea. I don't like seeing an advanced level forum crowded with "What's a roaster?" threads, but I'm still new enough to coffee (and roasting especially) that I don't know any good lower-level resources to get such questions answered.

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#6: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) replying to jormun »

Mike McGinness

jormun

#7: Post by jormun »

Will do. I've seen a few of those already, but haven't had time to read most of them. By lack of resources I meant any forums that cater specifically to people who have little to no experience with roasting, or coffee in general.

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

I'm hoping the forum will develop in this direction.

How the forum develops is only partially determined by the guidelines and moderating. People wander in and ask whatever question is on their mind, whether it's appropriate or not. This may be rude on their part; but it's how I and probably everyone else got started. In the old newsgroups, the response would usually be very chilly, in essence "don't talk to us, newbie, until you've learnt the ropes." I think we can be more polite, but probably should convey the same meaning and point such questioners to the resources they need rather than reanswering the same old questions.

Mike's reply to the FAQ question is a good example of what's needed to keep a forum on track. On the other hand, some of my replies in other threads may have been off-topic. I'll add a resource list to the forum's top information post, so that people know where to go to get basic questions answered. This'll be a good place to direct those with basic questions.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

another_jim wrote:I'll add a resource list to the forum's top information post, so that people know where to go to get basic questions answered.
Sorry, I neglected to add a forum-specific FAQs and Favorites until now (link). I'll link it from the main FAQs too.
Dan Kehn

cpl593h

#10: Post by cpl593h »

There are soooooo many beginner homeroasting resources - the presence of that here is superfluous. There is no single place that offers 'advanced' homeroasting, especially in the espresso mindset; I'm hoping that this is what HB homeroasting becomes.