Hot Huky ... sometimes - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

do you collect chaff in the standard sieve? I'm not having great success with more than one batch, so i clean the sieve after each batch.
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

Rick; you mention the MET probe shows lower temps for the hot/fast roasts. Does the MET probe show the same general temps during a roast with both normal and the hot/fast roasts? Or is it lower than the normal roast and roughly by how much?

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Brewzologist »

Also, if I read correctly you mention you use the magnahelic to measure gas pressure? If so, where is it mounted in your system? And do you also have a gauge after the needle valve?

Asking these questions because I've experienced pressure regulators that have gotten wonky, and I've also blown gas gauges too. In lieu of the stove being flaky I'm wondering if it's something in your gas supply chain.

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#14: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

chuckcoffee wrote:Nice, I like that setup with the Magnehelic

Really only way to tell is to check the potential blockage points with a flashlight on future roasts. Any feature on the inside of the tube can be a starting point for blockages. I sometimes get minor ones where my 1/8" copper tube comes through for the phidget.

Just asking but do you remove chaff after each roast?

Btw getting a cyclone setup if you are doing multiple roasts in a session is a great improvement and one less thing to worry about.

Could you send some details on the Magnehelic model and where to purchase. What was involved in setting this up?
I'm pretty sure it's this model https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pres ... Series2000. PM me and I can tell you all about the set up. I highly recomend it. It's been super useful.

#15: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Also, if I read correctly you mention you use the magnahelic to measure gas pressure? If so, where is it mounted in your system? And do you also have a gauge after the needle valve?

Asking these questions because I've experienced pressure regulators that have gotten wonky, and I've also blown gas gauges too. In lieu of the stove being flaky I'm wondering if it's something in your gas supply chain.
Steve. No the Magnehlic is for exhaust pressure, not gas.
Gas pressure is one of my thoughts. I'm going off the stock Huky gauge for all my gas settings.

The MET on the profile I posted in my first post actually shows lower temps. This would suggest to me that my fan is high. The high fan could accelerate things, especially the beginning part of the roast when gas is high.

Maybe the best thing to do here is a full breakdown and clean out and see if I can trouble shoot next time the Huky gets angry!

Marcelnl

#16: Post by Marcelnl »

checkig out the stove is easy enough, if the ceramics are damaged (top vaces in, crumbles away) a replacement is a good idea anyway. Think mine survived enough years not to complain (stored in a shed that is not insulated and not heated)
LMWDP #483

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by pcofftenyo »

I know I'm late here but had a wonky issue with my Huky before.

My stove developed a gas leak in the brass valve housing. Very weird and totally random. I replaced it and started getting consistent roasts again.

At least until I was tardy in cleaning the exhaust side and things got wonky again.

#18: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to pcofftenyo »

Do you recall what "wonky" looked like? High or low temps?

Was the leak identifiable by soapy water?

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Brewzologist »

Rickpatbrown wrote: The MET on the profile I posted in my first post actually shows lower temps. This would suggest to me that my fan is high. The high fan could accelerate things, especially the beginning part of the roast when gas is high.
IMO, due to the location of the MET probe in the Huky, it is less affected by airflow than gas (at least on the solid drum model). So looking at that profile, I'd guess your MET is lower simply because you had to lower the gas to offset the BT/ET rising more than expected.

The rising BT/ET could be due to a hotter ambient roasting environment too, but I'm guessing you've ruled that out?

As for a change in airflow causing the rise in BT/ET, I've found this occurs when increasing airflow due to increased convection, BUT at a certain point increasing airflow further starts to cause cooling. So in theory, the rise in BT/ET you are experiencing could be caused by increased convective activity from increased airflow OR because there was too much airflow to begin with, and an obstruction caused the airflow to drop a bit thus increasing temps. But given your use of a magnehelic you'd have seen this airflow change?

Just some additional random musings on this issue... 8)

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by pcofftenyo »

Rickpatbrown wrote:Do you recall what "wonky" looked like? High or low temps?

Was the leak identifiable by soapy water?
Sorry for the delay. Work et al taking me away from my hobbies.

The leak was on the actual valve body-I could see flames from places they shouldn't be.