Roast and Learn Together - February 2014

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
rgrosz

#1: Post by rgrosz »

boar_d_laze wrote:Both the January and February beans are sourced through Klatch. Klatch is giving people involved in the GRP project a 1 time, 1 order, 10% discount on each bean. The discount on the January bean is only good for orders placed in January; and the discount for the February bean only good for orders placed in February.

FEBRUARY:
  • Green Kenya Muthuthiini (Moot-hoot-cheeny) Peaberry
  • The discount code is (can you guess?): GRPFEB
  • Moot hoot cheeny? How can you resist?
  • Mike Perry suggested this one because he thought you'd find a peaberry interesting.

Here's a link to Klatch's greens page.. My experience with Klatch is that though their selection is not wide, it is choice; and if you're not already a regular customer I hope you become one.

Enjoy,
rgrosz and BDL
Time to get this party started. This is the first Kenyan I've bought in three years :P
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

johnlyn

#2: Post by johnlyn »

I'll be roasting today!

So Wassup with this bean? Anyone care to enlighten what peaberry is? What's a wet mill, does that mean washed beans? What are we thinking, pour over, espresso? Not sure how to orient yet so I will be roasting in the dark.

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

Initial Profiling, Best Results:

Finish:
Bare C+. Drop 415 - 420F.

Charge:
300F. As a rule, go easy on peaberry beans, they can scorch.

Drying/Ramp:
Nothing fancy. Not necessary to go slow from turn to EOD, then step on it through the Ramp, for instance. Not saying that it would be a bad thing though.

1stCs:
8:15 - 8:30, 377F

1stCe
9:40 - 9:55, 401F

Development:
Shortish.

Drop:
10:15 - 10:45 (I think... not done profiling Development), 417F on the nosey (for my probes).

Cupping:
Complex, acid, sweet, tons of fruits and florals. Citrus, lychee, nectarine, dates, palm-candy. Not much in the way of low notes, not much weight either. Going to FC flattens the crap out of this coffee, without adding much anything positive; so, probably not a good idea even for espresso. Right off 1stCe is too acid, too sour, too wild for the way I roast, but no doubt Marshall will work magic at the light end of the spectrum.

Should be an interesting SO espresso.

Preliminary Score:
90 - 91. Excellent. Specialty coffee is fun.

Procedural Notes:
3 X 100g samples to establish best finish.
2 X 225g samples to establish initial profiling preference.
85g is the minimum my roaster can handle and produce an even roast; 100g is 85g wearing a safety belt. Similarly, 175g is the minimum charge for fairly accurate temp readout; 225g may not be more accurate, but adds confidence.

Conjectural Notes:
I'm guessing Behmor users will have to flog their roasters to make this bean work, but that Gene and fluid bed users will be mystified as to why anyone would see this bean as a challenge.

Inconclusion:
A nice contrast to the relative simplicity of January's Red Honey. But not enough fundament between the two to make a good blend without something else. Perhaps with a Brazilian, a Guat or a Sumatran... It's unlikely I'll find out though. While I enjoyed the Honey and it looks like I'll enjoy the Peaberry as well, I'm so overloaded with beans for blends I doubt I'll be ordering more of anything for the purpose. Although one never knows, do one?

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

boar_d_laze wrote:Initial Profiling, Best Results:

... Going to FC flattens the crap out of the coffee, without adding much anything positive...
BDL
Helpful. I always used to take 1st roast of any bean to FC. For the last couple of years, I have started at City + and then tweak the roast from there, based on how I expect to use the coffee. Not sure why it took me so long to make that shift.
-----
LMWDP #339

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

Boldjava wrote:Not sure why it took me so long to make that shift.
We're all members of the Learn While You Burn Club here.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

pShoe

#6: Post by pShoe »

Boldjava wrote:Helpful. I always used to take 1st roast of any bean to FC.
Same here, but I would even push it a little further in most cases. I've changed my ways recently as well.

I haven't roasted a peaberry before, but I have a note in my roasting document that they can have a weird first crack. I'll have to went and see, but I should have this coffee in the roaster in about a week!

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

boar_d_laze wrote:We're all members of the Learn While You Burn Club here.

BDL

Nah, some of us stubbornly stick our flag in hot lemonade land here. :oops: I think it's the bay area having rubbed off on me over my formative years.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

tamarian

#8: Post by tamarian »

Just roasted a 1 lb batch. Decided to go a bit fast, 4-3-2 to C+, worked well for previous Kenyans. Smells good, report in 4 days.

farmroast

#9: Post by farmroast »

R&L March/April notice
With the impending roasting comp. being planned for March and my probable attending scaa in April I'm postponing my R&L plan until May. Having 2 roasting projects going on at the same will make it just too much for some members interested in both activities.

Here is a little primer on what I'm exploring for the May activity. I've just started to get more info. and further pro. opinions(and possible involvement) on the concepts.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Boldjava

#10: Post by Boldjava »

farmroast wrote:R&L March/April notice

Here is a little primer on what I'm exploring for the May activity. I've just started to get more info. and further pro. opinions(and possible involvement) on the concepts.
I look forward to it and will be all-in.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339