Roast and Learn Together - July 2015

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I've been excited to try a good Salvadoran, and from words I've gathered so far, it's been a good harvest year for this tiny powerhouse of a country. This months Roast and Learn Together will be using a washed bourbon Salvadoran coffee from Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders. This fresh crop coffee just landed in their warehouse last week and is selling well, but they have plenty of it.

Early word is it's an excellent new crop with lots of chocolate notes, mild melon, and citric acidity. I can't recall doing a Salvadoran bean in our RLT's yet, or if we have, it's been a while, so I'm excited to try something new.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

billsey

#2: Post by billsey »

I tend to like Salvadoran coffees, so it'll be fun. I just ordered 10# to play with.

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

My greens arrived yesterday. Depending on how the evening goes, I might fire up a test batch. It will be a short month with the holiday right ahead of us, but it will be nice to discuss a Central for a change. My only goal (if this coffee permits) is to test out how hard and fast I can push a coffee pre first crack, and truncate the post crack development time, and yet still result in a fully developed cup.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

GeneBean

#4: Post by GeneBean »

I've noticed most of the people participating in these 'Roast and Learn Together' projects use the Huky 500. Will anyone be using a Quest M3 on this one?

NoStream

#5: Post by NoStream replying to GeneBean »

Lots of people here use Quests. I do, for one, and will probably grab a couple pounds of this bean. TomC does as well and is pretty knowledgeable about its use. There are others as well.

In any case, solid drum Huky roasts should translate pretty well.

GeneBean

#6: Post by GeneBean »

noStream,
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered 5 lb to play with. This is going to be interesting, can't wait to get started.
Gene

billsey

#7: Post by billsey »

Mine arrived on Monday, just in time for me to leave the house for the week. I'll be roasting at least one batch this weekend on my Behmor 1600+.

Advertisement
GeneBean

#8: Post by GeneBean »

TomC:
Thanks for suggesting this Salvadoran! I had a rather exasperating roasting session yesterday. I first roasted a pound of SM Liquid Amber for a friend of mine and discovered one of my thermocouples died. I like to roast 281g batches and was able to get a decent roast on both batches after swapping thermocouples around to be able to monitor BT and ET with Artisan. Then while roasting the Salvadoran I had a problem getting Artisan to respond properly. My dumb self had the vacuum wand I use to suck out the chaff from the bottom of the Quest laying against the trackball and the desktop computer inhibiting the left button therefore I was not able to mark the 'charge', dry, 1C and so on. The good news is the Salvadoran came out excellent. I did a pour over this morning and it is great. No underrested tast at all. It is ready to go! I did accidentally take it to 435F. That is just into 2C with my 20011 model Quest with Eric's thermocouple for BT in the regular position. I had planned to only take the roast to end of 1C but that didn't happen. This Salvadoran with only less than 24hr rest is smooth, sweet and no bitterness at all. While grinding I did get a hint of the chocolate but not in the cup. I'm hopping that will come out after a few days more rest. I'm not a cupper to any stretch of the word. I am just now beginning to appriciate the acidic flavors in coffee and I can't get the fruity flavors at all yet. Chocolate and cocoa is what I've always been after in coffee since years ago when I was in Mexico and had the best cup of Colombian I ever tasted.

I'll be interested to see what others come up with this great coffee.
Gene

GeneBean

#9: Post by GeneBean »

Well I over did it with the Angel Mtn. Today I brewed a bit with the Bonavita and no chocolate notes at all. I must have gone right past the SO flavors in my roast. I'm getting a bit of Starbuks without the bitterness. I'll try espresso later and see how that pans out. The next roast with this coffee will be to end of 1C.
Gene

billsey

#10: Post by billsey »

I did a very generic roast on 12oz Saturday, I plan to pull my first shots tomorrow morning. I started in 1#P1 mode, hit a P5 to switch to manual, a D to double the drum speed and another 1# to go back into automatic. The P1 automatic runs at full heat for about the length of time it takes to get to the end of drying, then it switches to a 75:25 heat on ratio for the rest of the roast. At the start of 1C I switched back to manual P3 which gets me a 50:50 heat on ratio, dropped the drum speed back to normal and hit the C to change the timer into rosetta stone mode. I shifted to cooling with 0:45 on the clock. The color looks like a full city, the smell is nice. I expect this should be my worst roast since I'll be tweaking each subsequent roast based on what I get from this one. Unless I find this best for a drip machine I'll roast next in about a week, if it's a drip then I'll try something different on Wednesday...