Sumatra Ribang Gayo

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dhdhk

#1: Post by dhdhk »

I got this guy from Bodhi and pleasantly surprised. Ive always considered Sumatras to be super earthy and chocolatey but this coffee has a surprising amount of fruit notes, dried apricot, grape etc.

Also, how does my curve look? Roasting on a Chinese electric drum roaster, 220g

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Thanks for posting. I picked this up from SM but haven't had a chance to roast it yet. Your roast profile looks good. In recent years I've begun taking my Sumatrans lighter to bring out more flavor, and my development time is similar to yours. (The only oddity in your profile are the bars at the top that show dry/malliard/dev time percentages which don't look right)

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

dhdhk wrote:image
I got this guy from Bodhi and pleasantly surprised. Ive always considered Sumatras to be super earthy and chocolatey but this coffee has a surprising amount of fruit notes, dried apricot, grape etc.

Also, how does my curve look? Roasting on a Chinese electric drum roaster, 220g
"giling basah" or "wet hulled" is what gives that district earthy notes associated with Sumatra. It's where the coffee is mechanically hulled before it's dried motivated by speeding the drying time up. But sumatra does more than the wet hulled process. They mostly have catimor varitals like andungsari or ateng. I find a washed coffee from ache has a lot of malic acid/green apple/green grape kind of notes to them.

dhdhk (original poster)

#4: Post by dhdhk (original poster) »

yeah my artisan bugged out for this roast.... the ROR curve didnt show up real time so i was kind of flying blind, but showed up after ending the roast, and then all the numbers were messed up.