Dosing: 14g, 18g, 19g, 20g, 21g, 22g? What do you use, and why (taste) - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kris772 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

If I say, do 18g in a ridged basket and 21.5g in a non-ridged basket, I get very different flavors with about the same grind.
Life is too short for bad espresso!

Supporter ♡

#22: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Don't worry about tamping as long as it's level and consistent. It's the very bottom of things that make a difference. Once you've got it dialed, you can fogeddaboudit.
Thanks Ian - yes, I am seeing this the more I play with it. If bottom is good and top level, no sprites. Easy. If temp is dependable, great brew. Easy.
You raved over "Courthouse" beans in a distant post. That is on my near next to get list. Thanks.

iploya
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by iploya »

OK, I have since been doing my Italian roast in larger, 18g doses in 18g basket, but at the same low temp (190) and ratio of 1:1. You're right, just as good and possibly a tad sweeter or overall smoother. I guess it has more to do with the ratio and temp than the dose.

Supporter ♡

#24: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

ratio and temp, yes, though I notice that when I increase the dose I tend to get thicker slower pulls (because I forget to change the grind) that taste different... I spent the day monitoring the temp changes at the pipe going into the grouphead, and then the group itself to understand how rapidly it heats up. With a "Dragon" type machine I am trying to control that just by a steam-flush plus a little. I seem to wind up more with a 1:1 or 1:1.5 ratio since when it goes beyond that it either gets watery, or blonds-out, and I halt it. or I get a sour drink. It is actually very hard for me to get a 1:2 :) , so I tend to just take "what I get" and chalk it up to dose and grind. It COULD be frustrating but I realized today that simply noticing temperature tendancies is enough - I don't really need to control them... perhaps like that tamping thing - level matters more than tamp. I need Ian's levelers!!!