IMS Nanotech basket - two things happening

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Dog_Two

#1: Post by Dog_Two »

I have been using the included standard double basket with good results in my Breville Dual Boiler. Recently switched to a 20g IMS Baristapro Nanotech and am now seeing two things happen. One is the puck, more often than not, is stuck to the screen. The second thing is the flow from the basket is spread across the surface of the basket for the entire shot as opposed to coalescing into a single stream from the middle of the basket. Taste is still good. Cleanup is a bit messy and the stream is not as aesthetically pleasing, lol.

Are both of these effects common with the IMS nanotech baskets?

(I think this is the right sub forum for this question. If another sub is better suited, I'll move there.)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Yes.

Nanotech is a non-stick coating so your machine's 3-way action will suck pucks upwards. Now you're supposed to buy a Nanotech shower screen so the puck won't stick to the shower screen and thus fall back into the basket :wink:.

Years ago, the industry tried selling Teflon baskets as well; nobody bought them - I think because the colour was just weird. James Hoffmann tried one, of course:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Dog_Two (original poster)

#3: Post by Dog_Two (original poster) »

That color really is odd!

Okay...nope, not gonna buy a screen, I can deal with the bit of mess. Remind me why I wanted the IMS? :D

Thanks!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing replying to Dog_Two »

To me, nanotech makes sense in a café, where one can only practically remove and clean/de-grease the shower screen and baskets (and very lightly lube the portafilter gasket) at the end of each day (which roughly works out to 300 shots per group).

At home, we can clean more often - but the shimmering nanotech finish does look cool :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

exidrion

#5: Post by exidrion »

I have essentially the same machine and found it can mostly be fixed as long as you don't wait too to take out of of the grouphead, or you could downdose half a gram or so. IMO the cleanliness makes them worth it. Pucks don't stick to the basket at all and it's a quick rinse. They are a lot more prep and fresh coffee dependent though, that's why you might be having channeling. As soon as my coffee starts to "stale" a bit I switch back to the stock basket or an EPHQ basket.

mliberty

#6: Post by mliberty »

Jumping into this topic because I also recently got the IMS basket, and I'm having trouble with the second point - the coffee essentially looks like rain during the entire extraction and makes a mess all over the cup. Is this channeling? Do I need to dial-in the grinder again?

It's hard for me to figure out how to change the grinder/dose/etc when coffee is just raining from the portafilter all over the mug and drip tray :) If this is a somewhat inherent characteristic I'll probably stick with my less impressive, but at least consistent and clean stock basket.

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Mayhem »

Dog_Two wrote:The second thing is the flow from the basket is spread across the surface of the basket for the entire shot as opposed to coalescing into a single stream from the middle of the basket.
As I recall the holes on VST baskets are larger than run of the mill generic baskets, and the same is probably true for IMS higher end baskets. Thus you may need to grind finer than you are used to, or else the flow through each individual hole in the basket will be greater and thus less likely to coalesce into the single stream.

That greater flow may also require more careful puck prep. I just got a new grinder, and while it does come with some advantages, that also requires much much more careful puck prep for a consistent single stream flow. Currently using the same VST baskets I've used for years but have been considering getting a full quiver of IMS Nanotech baskets myself...
Too much is not enough

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Especially with newer machines that ship with a basket that is more uniform than the stamped ones of the past, the stock basket may produce tasty espresso with minimal fuss compared to an "upgrade" to a high-flow basket, especially for classic espresso.

In my experience, VST, high-flow IMS (they have several hole patterns, hole count, and basket shapes), or similar baskets require better quality grinds and more careful puck prep than conventional or slower "precision" baskets to just get the same overall quality of results in the cup.

If you've got a machine with a non-uniform, stamped basket and are looking for a replacement, I have found the EPNW HQ 14 (ridgeless, doses like an 18) to be easy to work with and produce good results, especially for classic espresso. I prefer ridgeless baskets in my workflow and have not tried the ridged version.

On the Nanotech coating, I'm not a fan. There are reports of it flaking off. I haven't heard anyone claim that it makes the coffee any better. Since I'm not in a production situation in a cafe, I can take the extra time to rinse my basket (and shower screen) clean, if that is the supposed advantage of the coating. Sometimes you're stuck with it as the basket size, shape, and hole pattern is only easily available in the NT finish.

mliberty

#9: Post by mliberty »

Jeff wrote:Especially with newer machines that ship with a basket that is more uniform than the stamped ones of the past, the stock basket may produce tasty espresso with minimal fuss compared to an "upgrade" to a high-flow basket, especially for classic espresso.
I think you're right -- I'm sure people can pull fantastic shots with this basket, but it seems very unforgiving. And I think it just isn't worth the fuss for me.

A few weeks ago I upgraded my shower screen to the nanotech during my regular gasket replacement maintenance and have really enjoyed that upgrade. The group head is really easy to clean and I've been pulling good shots, so my thought was it might be worth getting the matching basket. But I've been fighting with it for a few days and just can't seem to get the same results with my "inferior" stock basket. I was essentially solving a problem I didn't really have...

Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Derryisreal replying to mliberty »

Exactly the same here. Three new baskets (IMS Nanotech 18, 14g and EPHQ Premium basket) and I am back to using the stock ECM one :?
Light roasts are to me what garlic is to vampires.